Thursday 28 August 2008

An all to familiar day

I didn't sleep well so got up at 5:30 and did some emails, etc...
In the morning I met with Liz Baker for our first monthly supervision for three months - partly to discuss the letter I need to write recommending her for ordination.
At lunch time I took Ross Northing out for lunch for a chance to catch up on what's been going on.
In the afternoon I had a similar session with Mary Cotes.
In the evening I had a wedding rehearsal.
Between these events, I attempted to squeeze in some of the jobs that needed doing, i.e. planing three services for Sunday, checking out rules about weddings with the diocese, etc, etc... while attempting to give my family the impression that I'm still there for them.
It was an all to familiar day filled with valuable and important activities - but leaving me feeling drained and tired with rising stress levels as I deal with a dozen or so emails and phone calls asking me why I haven't done x - overlaid with a general feeling that there are many things that people would have wanted me to have done - and even more that I should have done - I love my job!
Having returned from sabbatical I'm looking at the same unrealistic responsibility-load I had when I left. What fun!
Some people have asked me if it's good to be back. My answer is - yes, it's good to see people again but I could do without the stress...
Do I want to do this forever - not on your life!

No comments: