Sunday 10 August 2008

10. What next?

Sabbaticals are funny times, as this one comes to an end I have a lot to think about...

I've learnt a lot and have had a chance to think about my own sense of identity and direction. What next? It's fairly traditional to leave for pastures new after a sabbatical, but do I really want to?

There's a lot to do in Milton Keynes and I want to be part of it. There are new communities for us to reach out to; we have an LSM project which is really exciting and now we have to potential to push forward a Fresh Expressions agenda. Is this the time to walk away? The deanery is on an interesting journey with the possibility of proper strategic planning on the horizon - and a ten year financial plan under way. Is this the time to give it up?

It's largely up to other people what role I will find myself in, but I do want to be part of the continuing MK story - I want to know what happens next...

Personally I do want a certain amount of change. I don't want to go back to over-work, unrealistic responsibilities, stress and guilt. The more I think about ministry, the more I feel this is unnecessary and unhelpful - so change is on the agenda... but not running away. We all need to be part of a better way of being church - for the sake of the whole. I'm up for some serious change. I wonder what we can achieve?

What next? Let's just see...

No comments: