Monday 31 December 2007

Waiting for a good wind

Waiting for a good wind
We went for a walk on the Dunstable Downs this morning. There were a couple of men who were trying to through themselves off the hills - with paragliders.
I found myself thinking of all kinds of New Year analogies - launching yourself into the blue, with faith that you'll be held up, etc...
Unfortunatley, they seemed to be having some difficulty. We had a chat with one of them - a sureal experience when someone is tied to a twenty foot kite.
It turned out, they had been chasing winds all week. They'd been in Wales the previous day, The wind on the downs was really too weak, but they were desperate to get into the air.
We watched them try again and again while we walked along the downs and back again. Finnally just as we were getting in the car, the blue paraglider got into the air and stayed there - for at least a minute. It was good to know that they managed something, and great to see their persistance.
Which made me think of the way so much that we do is dependent on having the right cicumstances - the right time, the right conditions, the right wind in our sails... We can get frustrated because we think we should be able to do what we know we need to achieve, but the time just isn't right. We need to keep chacing the wind (of the Spirit) until he lifts us up - and then we fly!
I've seen it happen again and again, and yet I keep expecting instant results...
Moving into a New Year my resolution is to remember that I can't do things by myself and I can't tell the Spirit when and where to act... "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord..."
Let's be like the paragliders and keep chacing that perfect wind...

P.S. Had a good evening with Dave and James who turned up out of the blue. Dave's just back from Russia with stories to tell. We stayed up far too late! Super!

No comments: