Saturday 4 April 2009

How dare you exclude me!

In my last post (How dare you involve me!) I spoke about the perils of inclusion. I'm very aware of how difficult this can be and how many issues come up when you make an effort. Many organisations become frightened of doing this and attempt to keep the lid on complaint or manage the agenda so that there is no time for discussion. Unfortunately, history has shown us that the more you attempt to restrict complaint like a ginger beer plant in a glass bottle, the more it is likely to explode once the smallest crack has appeared. The fall of the Berlin wall is a perfect example of how quickly things can be swept away once a tsunami of pressure is released...

In annual PCC meetings there is an opportunity to raise issues of importance to the parish. I have sat through such meetings where the agenda suddenly exploded at this point and various people took their opportunity to complain about everything from trees to hymnbooks, children and graveyards... Why were these meetings so full? - because for some they were the only opportunity they ever had to speak up. I contrast this with the expereince I've also had many times in more functional churches where involvement happens on a regular basis. In these churches I have asked the question, "Is there any business?" and had bemused looks in reply. They have nothing to say at the AGM because they've already said it - and know they will have another chance soon enough - they feel included and listened to...

The challenge in not to include, but to change the culture so that inclusion is normal. I've been doing some work on this recently with parent forums/councils. I'll try to post some of this on the blog at some point.

No comments: