Wednesday 14 January 2009

Older People

I started the morning with my first run in weeks - following all the family illnesses, bad weather and seasonal chaos. It did feel good to have a healthier start to the morning: a cup of rooibos and a banana for breakfast, a 40 minute run and a shower. I ran slowly to prevent myself falling on the ice - but this was probably a good way to ease into a new schedule. My plan is to start work on a steady programme based around the 1/2 marathon distance with three or four runs a week two rest days and a day when I do something else... One of my weekly runs needs to be a more substantial distance but I can usually squeeze something in on a Monday... wish me luck...

The rest of the morning was spent with some older people. I had hoped to see Ron Cramp but only managed to drop a card through his door. I did manage to see Audrey which was nice. I also spent some time in Kilkenny House where we discussed some plans for the future...

Building on some past successes, Linda wants to launch WOW - Worship on Wednesday - with some hymns and an activity - probably an all age "talk" provided by me - followed by Coffee and Chat. This is a fairly good format but does take a bit of preparation. I also think I may need some new speakers...

I was also introduced to yet another new lady who wants to go to church but needs a lift. I'll have a go, but I've never got very far in the past. It's hard to find volunteers...

Work with older people is enormously rewarding and great fun but often low on our priority list at a time when children's work is often seen as our main mission focus. There's actually a great deal you can do and a huge range of opportunities. The great challenge is to see discipleship as a calling for people of all ages. It's important that our older people are seen as the church of today - not the church of yesterday!

No comments: