Wednesday 28 May 2008

The problem of ecclesiatstical language

I've been thinking about ministry again today - in particular the key principles of ministry as it develops in the twenty first century. Not too big a job then!
I've also been thinking of some of the odd conversations I've had over the years that have tended to indicate that I wasn't always speaking quite the same language as the people around me. We have some funny words, like "service" which can sound like a function provided as part of a religious service industry, or can imply a deep call to seek the good of another person. I have often been struck by the fact that Jesus came to serve and yet his greatest act of "service" was to die for people who didn't want anything to do with him. When we ask people how they would like us to "serve" them, we may be missing something...
And then there's leadership... I was fascinated by the way a number of people connected our Growing Leaders course with leading worship. Having done it twice I can confirm that there is nothing in the course about leading worship, and yet it seems that our concept of church leadership is intertwined with the function of leading worship - but I still can't see why it should be... although there are some interesting links between liturgical role and community function. Of course, it all depends on what you mean by leadership. I still have this sneaking suspicion that all God's people are leaders - my pneumatological, democratic leanings are still there... If the Spirit is present in each member, then the Spirit will speak through each member - what, therefore, is the function of those we call leaders?
Anyway, I'm rambling... The basic issue is that the words we use can be really tricky. I say one thing, and I know what I mean, but another person may use the same words in completely different ways - and then, of course, there are exceptions and complications which may be more important to some people than others. Navigating your way through such a fog of meaning can be quite tricky. I've often had the experience with some of my ministry team colleagues (naming no names) of saying one thing and then be attacked for what I hadn't said...
Of course there are times when I have chosen to be naughty with words. I went for a job once and was asked by one of the interviewers what I thought was wrong with the world. I kind of sensed that he wanted me to talk about sin, but I suddenly felt disinclined to use the S word. I'm not sure why, looking back. Maybe I felt it was too easy to drop in a throwaway line about sin, faith and justification. The evangelical in me could easily produce the words, but my post-evangelical side wouldn't let me... Oh words... Didn't get the job, by the way - but it was only a gap year thing.

No comments: