Friday 16 May 2008

Clergy Stress: Childcare vs. Ministry?

Today's Church Times contained the following question: Are there guidelines for stipendiary clergy (male and female) with a working spouse and young children about the ratio of their "Parish" to their "childcare" time?
Isla was witness to my initial response - which wasn't polite!
This question brought to mind a colleague who was criticised for not working hard enough, although he was active in the "parish" during the day and the evening. His "boss" came up with the innovative idea that the "ladies of the parish" come to the house in the early evening to help his wife with bathing and putting the children to bed - then he could be available for "parish" work all day! How's that for thinking outside the box!
I'm sure better legal brains will be able to give a more accurate answer to this question, but my response would be something like this:
No, there are no guidelines for stipendiary clergy about the ratio of time they give to the church and the to their family, but they must take both responsibilities seriously. They are both callings under God. Clergy also have a duty to study, meet God in prayer and look after themselves - enabling them to be effective servants of Christ and "fully alive" human beings. They are not bond-servants to the PCC but love-servants of Christ and must prioritise this calling expressed through the catholic witness of the Church.
Clergy must do their job (and will be called to account if they are neglectful) but this accountability must also consider reasonable working hours and good practice. I was once encouraged to think in terms of working 40 hours per week (equivalent to a normal employee) and volunteer a further 20 (because that's what church members do(!)). If a minister cannot fulfill their "duties" within this time-scale the fault is with the post not the individual!
I suspect a very human story lies behind this question. My instinct is to side with the minister against a dehumanising campaign of bullying and emotional blackmail. I could be wrong in my assessment of the situation, but I've been around long enough to fear that I'm probably right... My prayers are with the family in the firing line.

1 comment:

Alastair said...

I agree with you Tim....

You will feel much happier and more fulfilled knowing that I'm sure!

I can't believe I've only just discovered your Blog, its great! You have to go on my links list now.

Oh, and I ended up at this post because I clicked on 'stress' in you word cloud!