Monday 9 June 2008

Collaborative Leadership

I've been trying to write about collaborative leadership today and struggling, partly because I want to keep it brief, but also because words and terms are used by different writers in very different ways...
I am still convinced by the concept of circular leadership in which each individual relates to Christ. Around the circle, all are fellow servants, exercising leadership/ministry according to gift and call. Alongside this, I do recognise the need for an individual to act as guarantor, guardian or holder of the circle - note my refusal to use the term "overall leader" which is used by John Adair and others... The person who chairs, presides or oversees must not become the leader - although he or she will lead occasionally - because if this happens, Christ is supplanted...
I was struck by the image of a diocese in the States where the bishop does all his episcopal business with a team who meet once a month - apparently it's a very small diocese. I like this idea of modelling collaborative leadership but recognise the challenge that it lays down - can I, in my "leadership" roles, create and maintain an authentic Christ-centred collaborative model?
The danger is that we slip back into the far simpler pattern of DIY - Decide it Yourself - because that's quicker and easier to do, but not as empowering for other people - and not good practice in a discipleship focussed church...

No comments: