Tuesday 29 January 2008

Blog out

I've just got home from an evening of meetings to discover that our house is connected to the rest of the universe again! Alleluia! Yes, our (exceedingly slow) Broadband connection has been out for over twenty-four hours... On the one hand, this is a good thing - it stops me from having to respond to all the emails that will have been sent in my dirrection... But it also means that my emails couldn't go out either... In 2008 internet failure can be like loosing your senses... How dependent on it we have become!

There are various aspects of the Internet that I have missed - not least the ability to end a family debate by checking Wikipedia - but I have particularly missed the ability to blog. Partly, I feel a (very very tiny) twinge of guilt that the blog hasn't been updated, causing people to visit an out of date site - but really I miss the daily brain dump. It's five minutes for me to think back over the day and try to extract meaning. Isn't it odd that I need a web site to help me do that. What an odd world we live in...

Perhaps there's something important in the ability to reflect with other people - which the blog makes possible in a non-labour intensive way... There may be something to learn here. Perhaps ichurch is worth plugging? - or we could look again at our thoughts of CyberCell? Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they had started a blog, but hadn't written anything because no-one would read it. Perhaps we need to set up covenanted blog circles of mutual reflection? What fun we could have(!)...

No comments: