Tuesday 4 November 2008

US Election

It's quarter past 11 on Tuesday evening. I've come in from my evening meeting and finished off a few jobs. I'm sitting down in front of the TV watching some of the coverage of the US election.

Obviously this is a significant night which will have consequences for millions of people, both in the US and elsewhere. Which way will it go? The polls suggest Obama, but American elections have sometimes produced some real surprises. As David Dimbly has just said, it's the voters that count not the polls...

In 2000 and 2004 I sat up and watched some of the results - more than a little depressed to see the US elect George Bush. I was particularly depressed in 2004 when they re-elected him after Iraq. I may sit up and watch some of the early results this year. I'd like to see a democrat back in the White House and hope that Obama is as radical as he appears...

No comments: