Friday 25 April 2008

Farewell to the Fish

When I was a child, growing up in Milton Keynes (between the ages of six and thirteen) I remember the city centre being a wide open space with miles and miles of empty car parks. They're not so empty these days. Often when we went into the town centre we would park by the fish at the garden centre. It was all free in those days. This was a great treat and we would often stop to peer into the murky depths. I'm not sure if I ever took myown children to see the fish, but in recent years there have been more bottles and junk in the fish ponds than anything else.
The fish are now gone and the garden centre is a brown field. My past is being demolished to make way for something new. Is this how people in the villages felt when their hedges began to disapear?

No comments: