Tuesday 11 August 2009

Travellers Cheques

Here's my second holiday gripe. I went to the post office to change some money before going to France and they pressurised me to take most of my euros in travellers cheques. The woman behind the desk assured me that they could be changed in all post offices, banks and holiday resorts. Feeling tired, I believed her and took them. I still have most of them now...

In fact neither camp site would change them - and the the local post offices wouldn't touch them - and the banks didn't want them either. We managed to change one - relatively late in the holiday in a bank while on a day trip - but didn't bother with the rest because we didn't think we'd need them - only to arrive in Houlgate where the campsite insisted on taking 60 euros from us in deposits for wrist bands - thereby leaving us with no money for food. We had two hours to rush into the town before the shops shut - and neither the bank nor the post office would touch our last remaining travellers cheques...

My guess is that the Post Office like to issue the cheques because my money will sit in their accounts for a while - earning money for them. In my case, they still have it!

No comments: