Thursday 22 June 2006

Where's the Minister?

Letter to Church Members...

Where’s the Minister?
It’s sometimes easy to miss significant changes if they creep up on you over a long period of time, but it is really important to note that things have changed in our churches. Five years ago, we had one minister in each church and each minister had a very straight-forward job. This is no longer true and it’s really important that we all know what the consequences of this change are for us and our churches.

Many of you will know that I now hold down a number of different jobs, but you may not know what they are. Here’s a list (in alphabetical order):

- Acting Area Dean of Milton Keynes: In similar areas this is a half time job – with an assistant.
- Minister with Oversight of All Saints’: This used to be done by a very hard working full-time minister.
- Minister with Oversight of St Mary’s: This has been done by one minister working full-time over the last two and a half years.
- Team Chair of the Watling Valley: This job has grown dramatically during the past few years and could easily be a half time job now.
- Plus any other projects and activities that we want to do as a Partnership…

In other words, I am responsible for work that has previously been done by at least three people – in a time when we are trying to expand and develop our work. While I’m not looking for sympathy, I would ask you to realise that I simply can’t do what three people used to do – and remain sane! We are working on a new Job Description that will help us all to agree how things will work, but in the meantime I ask for your patience.

I will prioritise work that I think will help the long-term development of our churches – because this is crucial. I will also expect lay people in the churches to offer mutual care and support to each other – using whatever systems they have available. I will be available for prayer, or a chat, on request – all you have to do is call – I will make time for you. But I will not be able to “pop in while passing” or “keep and eye on people” as ministers used to do. If you want to say “More tea vicar” please get in first before my days get filled in with endless “important” meetings – I would really prefer the cuppa!

Change can seem very threatening and we often want to avoid it, but this is a change that has already happened and we need to take note of what it means.

Many thanks for your support – Tim Norwood

No comments: