Saturday 17 May 2008

After Sunday

I've just been looking at the web site of an organisation called After Sunday. It focusses on the vocation of Christians to serve God in their normal lives. It looks quite helpful, but I only had a brief look. Check it out for yourself.
When I was living and working in a Root Group in Southampton I was, for a while, the one who worked full-time to support the group (and pay off our debt). At the time, some of my fellow Rooties thought I was missing out, but I soon came to realise that I was learning more about being a Christian in my working life than I was in church. As a library assistant I learnt how to serve joyfully  - with a focus on the needs of another rather than my need to get the job done. As a monorail driver (!) I was a chaplain to the line - stopping off at the stations to cheer up and encourage the hard-trodden staff...
At the time I wanted to explore spirituality in the work place more, but there were no organisations to help me. I joined one but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. 
As the Church we need to refocus our attention on those who are the Church in the World - there's a great Dave Walker cartoon on the After Sunday site which I can't reproduce - go have a look...

No comments: