Sunday 30 December 2007

Sunday after Christmas

Today was a significant day in the life of the Watling Valley Partnership. Richard Davis took his final services before starting his period of sick leave, leading to retirement. This morning, he was with Holy Cross and St Mary's where he has been minister with oversight for 8 and 6 years respectively.
Richard's departure begins a second URC vacancy in the partnership - and we could be waiting 18 months plus before a new minister is appointed. In the meantime, Mike and I will be working with three churches each, and "emergency plan B" will come into effect... This involves each congregation having two sundays per month with "their" minister, one with a member of the team and one locally led...
One of the side effects of "plan B" is that Mike and I will inevitably be spending less time with particular congregations, so today was a day of mini goodbyes as well...

9:30am at St Giles
I took the service at St Giles, which is one of the congregations I expect to see less often in the next few months. There were a number of people away, but some old friends in the congregation so it was a good occassion.

11:00am at Servant King
Servant King is another congregation I expect to see less of and I felt particularly sorry to say goodbye to them this morning. I've quite enjoyed my monthly visit to Furzton. Here they are wishing a Happy New Year to you... A New Year will soon begin and it's going to be an interesting one...

No comments: